UC Davis, the City of Davis, and the surrounding region harbors an abundance of activities, events, and culture to immerse yourself within. The information below is focused on providing a snapshot of the exciting things to do, places to visit, and events happening in and around the Davis area, in addition to highlighting the diverse resources offered to the faculty at UC Davis.
UC Davis Faculty Resources & Programs
UC Davis Campus Life
- UC Davis Activities & Recreation Center (ARC) - Come enjoy one of the many activities such as weightlifting, exercise machines, racquet ball, rock climbing, fitness classes, and so much more!
- Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts - Integrated within the UC Davis mission as a land grant university, Mondavi Center provides outstanding cultural programming and support for academic departments through presentation, education, public service, and research.
- UC Davis Campus Events - The UC Davis campus hosts several events such as the Whole Earth Festival (music & art festival), Picnic Day (homecoming & family weekend), and Cultural Days, which incorporates a wide range of programs that raise awareness and celebrate our cultural diversity!
- UC Davis Sports - Cheer on the Aggies in all our sports and stand side by side with our Aggie Pack and support the many sports available!
- UC Davis Craft Center - Classes, demonstrations, and artistic space can be explored at the UC Davis Craft Center with disciplines ranging from glasswork, ceramics, welding, woodwork, textiles, flame work, photography, screen-printing, and more!
Things to do in the City of Davis
- UC Davis Aboretum - Relax, walk, or bike in the calm and serene Davis Arboretum where you will find pathways lined with lush native vegetation alongside the slow-flowing Puttah Creek. This two-mile-long arboretum is a peaceful, popular spot for breaks, lunches, or a quick getaway.
- City Greenbelt - The Greenbelt incorporates over sixty miles of nearly contiguous stretches of bike paths and parks that host a range of water features, bridges, and tunnels including statues and monuments all throughout.
- Davis Farmers Market - Enjoy one of the most well-known Farmers Market's in the region offering locally grown, fresh produce and prepared foods while listening to live music from local musicians.
Surrounding Area Information
The City of Davis is in proximity to some of the best attractions in the state of California, located 75 miles (~1.5 hours) from San Francisco and 45 miles (~50 minutes) from Napa Valley to the west; and 115 miles (~2 hours) from Lake Tahoe and 190 miles (~3.25 hours) from beautiful Yosemite National Park to the east. Davis is conveniently located 15 minutes away from the California State Capitol, Sacramento, which offers activities such as the Sacramento Zoo, Convention Center, Museums, and Old Town Sacramento.
Academic & Other Employment Opportunities
Academic Employment Opportunities Bulletin (RECRUIT)
Chancellor's Postdoctoral Fellowship
Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
Inside Higher Ed
The Chronicle of Higher Education
UC Davis Administrative and Resource Management
UC Davis Human Resources
UC Systemwide Job Search
Fun Facts About the City of Davis
- In 2006, the City of Davis was ranked as the 2nd most educated city in the US (in terms of % of residents with graduate degrees) - CNN Money Magazine
- According to the 2010 US Census, the City of Davis total population is 65,622 and UC Davis total enrollment is listed as 32,290 students
- Bike Culture - In 2005, the League of American Bicyclists recognized the City of Davis as the first Platinum Level City in the US. In 1996, 2001, 2006, and 2009 the UC Davis "Cal Aggie Cycling" Team won the national road cycling competition. In 2007, UC Davis organized a record breaking bicycle parade totaling 822 bicycles. In 2010, the City of Davis became the new home of the US Bicycle Hall of Fame. USA Today boasted Davis as the winner of the "Best US Cycling Town" and Bicycle.com rated Davis the number one small bike firendly city in the US.
UC Davis Rankings & Distinctions
- 1st among US colleges in the advancement of STEM Programs for women (US College Database)
- 1st among national universities in number of faculty papers written in the field of ecology, environment, agriculture, entomology, food science, nutrition, and plant and animal sciences (ScienceWatch)
- 1st among research universities (Berkeley & Penn State) as the top producer of US Fullbright Scholars (2012-2013)
- 1st in the 2012 Cool Schools survey, run by Sierra Magazine (Sierra Club)
- 4th among 162 of “Ten Coolest Schools” 2013, Sierra magazine's seventh annual ranking of the greenest universities (a publication of the Sierra Club)
- 10th happiest US college campus (NewsWeek College Rankings 2011)
- 57th overall among the world's universities (Center for World University Rankings 2014)
- 9th overall among the nation's public universities in the 2014 Best Colleges rankings (USANews)
- 5th among U.S. universities in the number of international scholars (“Open Doors 2010 Report on International Educational Exchange”)
- 7th among public universities and 27th among public and private universities ((The Best Colleges' Top 50 Colleges and Universities in America for 2013)
- 14th in research funding among U.S. ranked public universities and 22nd for public and private universities (National Science Foundation 2011 R&D Expenditures)
- 33rd among the nation's research universities and 47th among the world's research universities (2013 Academic Ranking of World Universities by the Center for World-Class Universities of Shanghai Jiao Tong University).
- 46th overall among the world's universities, 25th for life sciences and 48th in engineering and technology (The World University Rankings 2012-13 by Times Higher Education)
- 85th among the world's top universities (QS World University Rankings 2013)
- For more customized rankings and distinctions at UC Davis, please visit the following Colleges/Schools:Office of Graduate Studies, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, College of Biological Sciences, College of Engineering, College of Letters and Science, Graduate School of Management, School of Law, School of Veterinary Medicine, and Sustainability: Awards and ratings.