Complaint Processes and Resources

All UC Davis employees are encouraged to address conflicts with other members of the campus community in a constructive, respectful manner. Departments and Deans' offices are helpful resources. However, if a Department needs additional assistance, they should work through their Department Chair, who can work with his or her Dean. If the Deans' office wishes for further consultation, Academic Affairs can serve as an additional resource to assist Deans in managing conflict. There are a variety of ways, both formal and informal, that a conflict situation can be managed. The following resources may be useful in addressing various issues:

  • Academic Affairs - provides advice to Deans' offices on academic-related issues
  • Academic and Staff Assistance Program (ASAP) - provides confidential counseling to staff and faculty
  • Ombuds Office - provides confidential, independent, impartial, informal problem-solving and conflict management 
  • Deans' Office - provides advice to Departments and Department chairs on a variety of issues
  • Staff Development and Professional Services - provides training programs on a variety of topics including: communication, supervisory skills, and conflict management
  • UC Davis Ethics and Compliance Program - provides information about the Standards of Ethical Conduct

Resources for Graduate Students

  • Graduate Studies’ Problems & Dispute Management Page - helps graduate students navigate and overcome obstacles to academic success. Depending on the nature of the problem or concern, students may be referred to Student Affairs, student health and counseling services, career and professional development services, or a diversity officer. 

If the situation is not appropriate for any of the above resources, the University has several options for dealing with formal allegations of misconduct or grievances.

Misconduct (Senate)

Faculty members are held to the Faculty Code of Conduct, Academic Personnel Manual (APM) 015, which cites the responsibilities and privileges that come with a faculty title. However, this section also describes what areas are considered violations of this code. Any member of the university (faculty, staff or student) can file a complaint alleging that a faculty member has violated the Faculty Code of Conduct. The procedure for this process is described in UCD 015.

Grievances (Non-Senate)

A non-Senate academic employee may wish to file a grievance under APM 140 if he or she she feels that "(1) a specific administrative act was arbitrary or capricious and adversely affected the appointee's then-existing terms or conditions of appointment; and/or (2) a violation of applicable University rules, regulations, or Academic Affairs policies occurred which adversely affected the appointee's then-existing terms or conditions of appointment."  UCD 140 describes the process for filing such a grievance.

Other Forms for Filing Complaints

The following resources are designed to provide mechanisms to bring forth allegations of misconduct:

  • How to report allegations of research misconduct in the proposing, conducting or reporting of research: 

Integrity in Research, PPM 220-05

  • How to make a whistleblower/whistleblower retaliation report:

Exhibit A - Improper Activities Report

Exhibit B - Retaliation or Interference Complaint