Academic employees under collective bargaining agreements (Unit 18 - AFT Non-Senate instructional titles, Unit 17 - Librarians, and RA Unit - Academic Researchers) should consult their Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to their title.
General Information on Compensation for Academics
There are limitations on allowable compensation paid through the university, and on the number of days engaged in outside professional activities for academic appointees. Allowable payments and eligibility for additional compensation are restricted by title series and job responsibilities. Section IV. Salary Administration of the Academic Personnel Manual contains the policies on allowable compensation paid through the university for those in academic titles. APM 025 and UCD 025 outline types of activities that are allowable as ‘outside professional activities’, that is, allowable activities that might be paid outside the university. Some pre-approval for certain activities is required. For those in the Health Sciences Compensation Plan (HSCP), see APM 670 and the UCD School of Medicine Compensation Plan. For retirees on recall, please see our Retirements and Recalls page.
For comprehensive information, please refer to the applicable policy section in the Academic Personnel Manual listed below.
- Temporary Interlocation Transfer or Multilocation Appointment Form (UPAY 560-T)
- Interlocation One-Time Payment Form (UPAY 644C-T)
Additional Compensation for Summer (Academic Year) or Off-Duty Period (Fiscal Year)
- APM 600, APM 661 and APM 667
- Summer Sessions Faculty Hiring Guidelines
- Summer Sessions Job Code Crosswalk
- Paying Additional Summer Compensation
Conflict of Commitment and Reporting Outside Professional Activities
Extramurally Funded Research for Professors
- APM 667 Also see Additional Compensation section above
- Transitional Off-Scale Salaries from Professional Researcher to Project Scientist - Applicable when transitioning from the Professional Researcher series to the Project Scientist series
- APM 620 / UCD 620